Thursday 7 January 2010

reflections during hibernation


Right, first of all, I wrote not long ago that I felt like writing the chronicles of the end of the world... but, I read this today: ' ...we are not working for the spectacle of the end of the world, but for the end of the world of spectacle' IS n. 3, 1959
Sweet...
I am kind of hibernating this days, after new years bash and with this freezing weather it feels like a sensible thing to do. I am kind of hiding in my room, the house has not central heating so we just warm up our individual rooms... 'We' is not accurate, I have been alone for almost two days, what a record!

To the point, I have been reading, listening to music and just a bit of writing as I was quite lazy ... these activities make me feel quite good and alive... but due to my general lazyness my main occupation has been to watch movies and soaps, non stop... Yep not just good movies, some crap and soaps...They normally sent me to the reign of darkness and depression, almost depression...
Even though, some of the movies kept me thinking afterwards and I got something out of them, I feel really thankful to anything which opens the doors for my brain to start elaborating with ideas. It is not the super well done movies the ones which make me think more, a lot of times is the nonsensical ones, the ones full of ideas, the ones which are imperfect so I keep going on and on around them, obviously I have to be interested in the story line. One good example is the movies from Julio Medem, not all of them are nonsensical juxtapositions of poetry and metaphors, but they all go around themes with which I can relate... I wish to meet him at some point and have a long conversation. One of the last Caotica Ana has have very bad critics and he has been justified due to his recent loos of a beloved relative, his sister... Well... it may be true, but the movie is not more crazy and illogic than previous ones, and who cares about logic, he does not. The movie has his usual themes, life, love, dead, war/violence the will to live against the will for power, and that there is something else not just plain biology ... and he has so much faith in women! in some women and in love, and the creation of our own individual values. I love Medem, even if his characters are just excuses to tell a story, an illogical story...

Another imperfect movie director is Win Wenders. I will summarize, I watched 'Untill the end of the world' from 1991, very long movie... I watched it long time ago and it left a good impression on me. Now years later I wanted to see how the movie would affect me. It was entertaining and I realized why I do like Win Wenders, there is a lot of traveling in his movies, normally. This one is a science fiction movie, it is not such an impressive round cinematic work as Blade runner. It is imperfect, it does not keep a tight rhythm, but that makes me to sympathize and to think about it more, how I would do it or why he did what he did, is open...I keep thinking on bits from the movie... There is in my opinion a critique to our addiction to be spectators of movies TV etc, I may be wrong... At the end of the movie Claire Sam and his father get addicted to watch their dreams on the screen, they isolate themselves from each other and they just watch their individual screens projecting their dreams which they try to perfect in order to watch them again. Claire gets saved by her ex lover, a writter who takes the batteries out from the screen and leaves her with a book of her own story written by himself, very poetic...
So this is why I started to write this blog... I was reading something from Raoul Vaneigem when I started to elaborate about all this, and then I felt like writing. There are movies and movies though... Chaotic, imperfect and poetic Medem makes me think and specially makes me to want to be alive, whatever happens... makes me fall in love with life, again and again

No comments: