Thursday 17 December 2009

The feeding 5000


It was a very cold, snowy day, yesterday. I did not want to leave the house but I was curious and wanted somehow to participate on the feeding 5000 event... The idea was to feed 5000, with skipped food.
Skipping is a good practice. A huge amount of vegetables, bread and other goodies are thrown to the skip because they will be out of date next day or they are not pretty enough. If you do not have enough money to buy food the best is to visit the bins next to markets, supermarkets or even places like pret a manger, they throw away so much edible things...
To the point, when I arrived there I could see a few tents protecting the cooks from the weather, it was snowing, and lots of people, this was in Trafalgar square. There were two long queues one for getting a meal and another for collecting free fresh vegetables. I thought it would take me a long to get some food. I was wrong, the queue was moving really fast, there were lots of very good humored volunteers, giving up apples, facilitating and chatting to the people waiting. In less than 7 minutes I got my plate with curry and bread, there was even fresh coriander, i love coriander... There was a band playing music, under the snow... Also there was a big stage with someone cooking , giving recipes and advise. There was a special tent for the media...
The people being fed was a good mix of types ages and backgrounds.
Something I did not like was to see some people throwing away the whole dish they have received in waste bins...what is the point?... irony?.... maybe they did not like the food...
I think it was delicious, and I liked a lot the disposable wood plates and cutlery. It would be too complicated due to the amount of people and the venue not to use disposable.

No comments: